the sKy...mY giVen riGht to dReam and wRiTe

prOuD aRab...proUd Muslim...pRoud UAEen... pRouD to be... always pRoud..prOud of my hEritage... pRouD to be... pRoud of everything in me...pRoud, always pRoUd

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Really, How Proud Are We?

We've made it.
Regardless of the hardships, and what we are putting up with, we made it.

The world knows us! Hoooray.

...And so the term dubai'd was coined. and how proud are we!

...Discovery channel made a documentray about the richest people in the middle east, and what do you know, out of the four featured gentle men, THREE are from the UAE (Dubai)!

...and now as proud as we are, we are featured on the NEWYORK TIMES in an article highlitghting the:
a. fear over local idenity
b. growing tension among different nationalities in the UAE


The article called Beyond Skimpy Skirts, a Rare Debate on Identity very fitting description, albeit misleading (rare-not). Is it about the skimpy skirts?

I first refered to the topic in an earlier post called Does Respect Have Meaning? because I truly think it winds down to respect, from one human to another human. It is lleged that an article on 7days titled Show Some Respect first broke hell loose. I suspect that. The comments on that article got very abusive of course with both sides uttering complete non-sense by the end of the day, but something very revealing came out too. The insolence of foreigners on this land (both westerns and otherwise--i call them wannebes--). Complete hypocrisy and ill-meant intentions came out flowing. It wasn't about Ramadan, or about curbing one's sexual needs, or watching one's mouth. It is about showing RESPECT when and where it is due. People come here knowing the cultures, and choose to ignore it and carry with their own ways. It was complete chaos particularly when someone asked for solidatory with muslims living abroad where they are taunted everday but excercise faith diligently. I am not in a western city, and I do not have to put up with someone else's entire culture in favour of mine. I do not have to be assaulted with nakedness and vulgarity everywhere I go. Had I wanted that, why, it is easy to go and live in their countries! At the end of the day, I think, where exactly am I living, in my native town or where?

I simply request few things.

I simply ask not to see your bulging, bare and hideous skin.
I do not want to smell your foul mouth in the morning when you've spent the night drinking.
I do not want to hear your racist comments about my culture and religion.
I do not want your civilised culture influencing or imposing my beliefs.

I, of course, exclude the wonderful and generous few non-locals whom I had the pleasure of meeting.

I will end quoting the author of the article (NYTimes), as he sums my shattered thoughts:
"Arabs celebrate it as a model of Arab accomplishment, and Westerners embrace it for its endless sunshine and luxury lifestyle".

How shameful.

3 Comments:

At 10/23/2006 2:50 PM, Blogger pRoUd said...

Eid Mubarak to you too DG. I hope you had enjoyed it:)

Is it really a price to be paid? I think not. U see, terrible as it may seem, I still cling to the notion that we still can develop and progress without the need to lose our identity. It's not a matter of imposting one belief system over another, neither making them parallel, but rather a question of basic hospitality! If I come to your house, I eat what you choose to cook, I speak what you like to hear, and of course I wear what you'd rather see. So, I stll harbor the wish to have the uae be one of the few countries which will be able to balance between the modern age requirements and its culture's/religious sensibilites. I pray.

 
At 10/26/2006 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post Proud, I don't think Dubai is holding onto similar sentiments you've shared in your post - if it does, it indeed would be a "model of Arab accomplishment"

 
At 10/30/2006 10:56 AM, Blogger pRoUd said...

thanks blogrosh...to be frank, what dubai wants is no secret to anyone, but I think there will be a back lash from the people themselves. I'm noting the rise in contempt from locals towards "foreigners" in general, no racism intended, but facts are true. The much argued topic of national withdrawing and not mingling with "others, but isn't this true of every other nationality? Birds of the same same Flock will fly together! But I don't think this is true about uae national. having the nationals being criticized is just shameful, and for some to refer to this act as being "afraid of losing their culture" that's a different story, bad taste. Had the arabian national been afraid to loose their roots for mere contact with others,the arabian would've been long clamped up with noaccess guranteed. But the reality is something else, the reality talks for itself about the hospitality of the people here and their generosity. Even in times when nothing was available, the arabian welcomed everyone. it's not his fault that he was overlooked. now that the gold shines, everyone is claiming their shares, now is that right?
we have the right here, and we have the right to claim it. our culture and values will always prevail

 

Post a Comment

<< Home